Thursday, August 22, 2013

Prix de la Photographie, Paris

http://www.px3.fr/winners/zoom2.php?eid=1-34668-13&uid=3239437&cat=Portraiture - 
Submission title: The Elusive Self


Who am I really, I ask myself as I watch my elongated shadow play across the railroad tracks along Lake Ontario; or my shattered reflection in a window of an abandoned gas station on route 49; or when I hold an I.D. picture from my childhood refugee papers against the background of a train journey through post communist Eastern Europe; or me with a long ago lover in a penny arcade photo booth in the 1990s.

My self-portraits are about intangible and fleeting moments of memory; mining the past, remembered dreams, interior spaces. They are about metaphor, poetry, vibration.


photo booth selfie 1992
Sylvan Beach 1992

Route 49, Marcy, NY 2007

Prague to Berlin, 1994

Oswego, NY 2005

Prague to Berlin 1994 ©Sylvia de Swaan

No comments:

Post a Comment